Prof. Dr. iur. Kai Ambos
Institute for Criminal Law & Criminal Justice
Head Dept. for Foreign and International Criminal Law
Chair for Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Comparative Law and International Criminal Law
Georg August Universität Göttingen
Judge at the State Court Göttingen
Coordinator of the Faculty's Master programmes since 15 March 2006
Chair of Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Comparative Law and International Criminal Law at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Germany (since May 2003). Head of the Department of “Foreign and International Criminal Law,” Institute of Criminal Law and Justice at the University of Göttingen. Judge at the Provincial Court (Landgericht) of Lower Saxony in Göttingen (since 24 March, 2006). Dean of Students of the Faculty of Law at the University of Göttingen between April 2008 and 2010; responsible for the Master Programs “MLE” and “LLM” since April 2006. Legal education at the universities of Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany), Oxford (UK) and Munich (Germany). First State Exam, 1990. Legal Preparatory Service, 1992-94. Second State Exam, 1994. LL.D. 1992 (Munich). Habilitation (Post-Doc) 2001 (Munich). Venia legendi in Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Criminology, Comparative Law and Public International Law. Former senior research fellow at the Max-Planck Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany, in charge of the sections “International Criminal Law” and “Spanish-speaking Latin America” (1991-2003).
- Main research areas: Criminal Law and Procedure, International and Comparative Criminal Law (emphasis on Spanish-speaking and Anglo-American countries).
- Visiting professor in Latin America, Spain, Italy and Israel (Hebrew University).
- Member of Doctoral Committees in Netherlands, Spain and Sweden.
- Various freelance consultancies on judicial reform in Latin America and international criminal/transitional justice (in East Timor, Cambodia, F.R. Yugoslavia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Macedonia, Kosovo, Colombia [GTZ-ProFis, support of the Colombian Fiscalía in the peace process]).
- Member of the German Delegation to the Diplomatic Conference on the Establishment of an International Criminal Court (Rome, 15 June to 17 July, 1998).
- Member (advisor) of the German Delegation at the “ICC Preparatory Commission Intersessional Meeting” in Siracusa, Italy (31 January to 5 February, 2000).
- Former member of the expert committee “International Humanitarian Law” of the German Red Cross.
- Member of the expert working group established by the Federal Ministry of Justice for the elaboration of the German “International Criminal Law Act,” implementing the Rome Statute for an ICC.
- Member of the editorial board and book review editor “Criminal Law Forum,” Springer (from vol. 12, no. 1, 2001), since September 2010 co-Executive Editor.
- Member of the editorial board “International Criminal Law Review,” Kluwer Law International.
- (Former) Member “Wissenschaftlicher Beirat” (Scientific Council) “Lateinamerika Analysen,” Institut für Iberoamerika-Kunde, Hamburg.
- Member Advisory Board “Göttingen Journal of International Law”, <www.gojil.eu>
- Member “Consejo editorial” of the journals “Cuadernos de Doctrina y Jurisprudencia Penal” (ad hoc publisher, Argentina), “Derecho Penal Contemporáneo. Revista internacional” (Legis publisher, Colombia), “Revista Peruana de Ciencias Penales” (Idemsa publisher, Peru), “Ciencias Penales” (Asociación de Ciencias Penales, Costa Rica), “Revista de Derecho Penal” (Rubinzal Culzoni publisher, Argentina), “Política Criminal” (Chile, www.dpenal.cl/politcrim/portada.htm), “Revista Eletrônica de Direitos Humanos e Política Criminal” (REDHPC, Brasilien, www.direito.ufrgs.br/dir1/revista.asp) and “Revista de la Maestría de Ciencias Penales” (Costa Rica).
- Member “Comité Cientifíco Internacional” of the Journals “Revista Penal” (La Ley publisher, Spain), “Revista Eletrônica de Direitos Humanos e Política Criminal” (REDHPC, Brasilien, www.direito.ufrgs.br/dir1/revista.asp) and Revista Penal Mexico (Inacipe); “Comité Asesor” of the journal “Anuario de la Facultad de Derecho de la Universidad de Alcalá”, Alcalá de Henares (Madrid).
- Director of the “Colleción de Derecho Penal,” “Editorial Jurídica de Chile”, www.dpenal.cl/CDP/index.htm.
- Responsible editor of the international section of the “Zeitschrift für internationale Strafrechtsdogmatik” www.zis-online.com.
- Member of the steering committee “Working Group of International Criminal Law” (Austria, Germany, Switzerland).
- Academic co-ordinator of the “Latin-American Study Group on International Criminal Law” (Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Rule of Law Program, since 2002) http://lehrstuhl.jura.uni-goettingen.de/kambos/Forschung/laufende_Projekte.html.
- Co-editor of the “Göttinger Studien zu den Kriminalwissenschaften” (Institute for Criminal Law & Criminal Justice), www.uni-goettingen.de/de/33043.html.
- Member of the selection committee of the German Academic Exchange Service “Foreigners from Latin America” (appointed in 2006).
- Member of the selection Committee for the “Georg Forster scholarships” Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung (January 2008 – 31 December 2013).
- Principal Scientific Adviser for International Criminal Law, Forum for International Criminal Law and International Humanitarian Law (FICHL), Torkel Opsahl Academic EPublisher, Oslo, Norway
- Editor of the “Series on International and Foreign Criminal Law,” Duncker & Humblot, Berlin.
- Member “Peer Review Committee” German Yearbook of International Law (since 2010)
- Referee of the European Research Council (ERC) in peer review evaluations (appointment from 13 October 2010 to 31 December 2013)
- Member of the German Chinese Law Institute, Faculty of Law, Georg August Universität Göttingen (since Winter 2010/2011)